How to make cuticle oil at home?
Are you tired of hearing about facial and foot skincare routines? Worry not! We understand that exhaustion and this is why we are bringing you a change in your skincare routine by teaching you some DIY cuticle oil recipes.
We all have learned plenty of strategies to keep our face, body, and feet fresh and lavishing while completely neglecting that hands are also an essential part of the body. This is why they also need the same amount of love and care as other parts of the body. Hence, bringing you the most wholesome nail skincare routine.
Read along to know how to make cuticle oil at home premises and get the soft and brightening cuticles.
Your cuticles are the sensitive region of the hands and are prone to damage due to the harsh chemicals on the nails. Their health is largely dependent on the amount and intensity of the chemicals they are exposed to. Frequently washing your hands in a day reduces their moisture, leaving them dry.
Therefore, to keep them stable and nourishing, scroll down and know how to make your own cuticle oil right at the comfort of your home.
Benefits of Cuticle Oil for Nourishment
Cuticle oil has immense advantages to the nails. Homemade cuticle oil adds a lot more perks in revitalizing nails and toning cuticles.
It penetrates on the deeper levels of the nails, softening and nurturing the cuticles along with promoting flexible and strong growth of nails.
Best natural cuticle oils have organic and vegan essentials in them which makes them suitable for sensitive and dry skin. Thus, protecting the cuticle area from harmful or harsh chemicals.
Using the best natural cuticle oils heal, re-energize, and condition the cuticles, nails, and the skin around them. It generates a calming and moisturizing effect on nails and is the best nail nourishment remedy for dry cuticles.
It not only build flexible and strong nails but also helps in maintaining the longevity of the manicure.
What causes Dry Nail Cuticles?
Being the woman who handles the house chores responsibilities, I for once can surely state that cuticles adversely respond to external factors such as frequent washing of hands.
Utilizing hands abruptly for performing household responsibilities is where the real damage begins.
Some of the widely known causes of the dryness of the cuticle include;
- Lack of moisturizer
- Washing hands often
- Skin infections like Eczema, Psoriasis, to name a few
- Cold weather
- Frequent use of hand sanitizers and nail polish remover
- Nail-biting or cuticle biting
- Lack of nail maintenance which includes poor nail care
- Systemic issues in the body
Things You Must Need for Cuticle Oil
Several types of equipment are essential when you prepare a DIY cuticle oil recipe. Therefore, before starting with the recipe, make sure that you keep the following things aside in order to make the process easier and faster.
- Bottle for mixing up the ingredients and putting the homemade cuticle oil inside the bottle for storage.
- Dropper. It is required to close the bottle and use the drops daily. Without the dropper, the cuticle oil that you have prepared with so much effort can go to waste. It is more often used to prevent the spilling of the oils and to use cuticle oil in drops.
- Bowl. You can use it for preparing the DIY cuticle oil recipe to hold the ingredients together. I use a cuticle oil pen.
- Essential oils. This is the most significant component without which the DIY cuticle oil recipe will be incomplete.
Shop Your Ingredients Here
Get dropper bottle
Now, let’s move on to cuticle oil recipe and ingredients to make the oil.
Exact Ingredients for Cuticle Oil (Alternatives)
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil.
- 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil or avocado oil
- 4 drops of Vitamin E Oil.
- 4 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil (alternative)
- 5 drops of Lavender Essential Oil (alternative)
- 3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil(alternative)
- Empty Amber bottle with dropper.
Essential Oils for Cuticle Oil
As aforementioned, in order to prepare the best natural cuticle oil, it is mandatory to look upon the essential oils that you use as ingredients.
Hence, to know the outstanding essential oils for dry cuticles, read on.
I am sure you will feel grateful for reading it out and having an insight rather than just adding up any ingredient that comes your way.
Some of the fruitful essential oils are;
#1. Jojoba essential oil
Highly rich in Vitamin A and B, making it suitable for treating damaged nail beds and cuticles. Coupled with this, it provides strength and serves as a booster for the growth of healthy nails.
Massage it on your cuticles and leave it on your hands for 2 to 3 hours until it gets fully absorb and see the magic yourself!
#2. Cypress essential oil
One of my favourite’s oil knowing for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. This essential oil is phenomenal for instantly treating cracked and dried cuticles. You can use 2 to 3 drops of it on your index fingers and massage your nail gently.
The oil will seep on your skin, providing nourishment and a soothing effect.
#3. Lavender essential oil
It contains nourishing and moisturizing components which makes it a super amazing choice for dry cuticles. If you are someone who has a nail-biting ritual due to whatever reasons, lavender oil is your best pick! It will not only treat the bitten cuticles but will also heal the burning sensation underneath them.
Dip a cotton ball in this oil and rub it on the cuticles and wash after few hours with lukewarm water. The after-effects are worth witnessing.
#4. Carrot essential oil
Great for restoring the moisture of dry and flaky skin because of its enhanced vitamin E substance. This oil is the best fit for extremely dry cuticles because it for sure restores the lost moisture that the cuticle requires. Just add some drops on the cotton ball and dab on the cuticle area.
It is preferable to use it before going to bed and let it stay overnight and what a miracle it leads you to.
#5. Sesame seed essential oil
This oil has its own advantages because it offers all the nutrients to the nail that it needs to grow. It provides the nail with enriched minerals and fatty acid content. Also, it protects the cuticle and nail from adverse skin infections and diseases that usually occur during the winter seasons.
Put a drop of it on each cuticle and massage it gently. If you use this regularly, you will see the improvement within a month which is a plus point.
#6. Grapeseed essential oil
Rich in Vitamin D and E, grapeseed oil helps in boosting collagen production in the nail beds and cuticles resulting in tightening the skin. If you are allergic to fragrances, this oil is the best choice because of its odourless nature.
Just apply it to the cuticles and allow it to penetrate the skin.
#7. Myrrh essential oil
This oil is the best pick by the beauty professionals who run the salons because of its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, making it preferable for the injured, infected or burned skin. Applying it for a week before going to bed does wonder.
Want to try some other DIY skin care recipes?
6 DIY foot scrub recipes for dead skin
7 homemade almond face packs for immediate skin glow
How to make green tea toner at home
3 DIY Cuticle Oil Recipes to Make At Home
#1. Tea Tree and Jojoba Oil DIY Cuticle Oil Recipe for Nail Growth
- 4 ounces(118ml) of Jojoba oil
- 1 ounce (30ml) of Vitamin E skin oil
- ½ tablespoon(2ml) of any essential oil mentioned above(My best preference is Tea tree oil but you can use any oil that works best in your favour)
- Take a mug and mix Jojoba oil with Vitamin E skin oil using an ordinary spoon.
- It is preferable to use the ratio of 1:4 by mixing one 4 ounce bottle of jojoba oil with 1 ounce bottle of Vitamin E skin oil.
- While performing the previous two steps, make sure that you mix the two oils evenly and thoroughly such that you can see Vitamin E oil has mixed entirely with Jojoba oil.
- Pour in 60 drops (1/2 tablespoons) of tea tree oil (or any essential oils for dry cuticles) into the mixture. Blend well.
- Take a dropper and add the oil into the cuticle oil pen or the bottle to store it. You can just use an airtight container for storage.
- Let it stay in the container for an hour and apply it on your cuticle with a dropper or a nail polish brush.
You can prepare this best natural cuticle oil in just 10 minutes and can use it happily.
How often to apply?
You can apply this homemade cuticle oil at least three times a day. However, since this DIY cuticle oil contains all the natural ingredients, therefore, it is doesn’t hold any side effects. Therefore, using it more than three times a day would not do any harm.
#2. Homemade Cuticle Oil with Lavender and Coconut oil
- 4 ounces(118ml) of Coconut oil
- 2 ounces(60ml) of Vitamin E skin oil
- ½ teaspoon (2ml) of Lavender oil (You can use any other essential oil that works well for you. However, lavender blends well with coconut oil)
- Take a mug and add coconut oil and Vitamin E skin oil.
- Blend well.
- After mixing these two ingredients together, add ½ teaspoon of lavender oil.
- Finally, pour this mixture into an airtight container for storage.
- Apply it to your nails and cuticle after an hour.
You can easily prepare this calming DIY nail moisturizer in 5 minutes and can feel loved and pampered by applying it.
How often to apply?
You can apply this twice daily till you attain recovery from dry, crackly cuticles.
#3. DIY Cuticle Oil Recipe and Nail Serum
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 5 drops of sesame oil
- 5 drops of carrot oil
- 5 drops of myrrh oil
- Small bowl
- Cotton or makeup brush
- Meltdown the coconut oil in a heated pan
- Take a different bowl and add 5 drops of each essential oil and create an even mixture of it.
- Dab the cotton ball into the oil mixture and apply it to the cuticles while massaging it gently.
- It is preferable to keep the oil on the cuticles overnight before finally rinsing off from water.
This is the easiest and quickest homemade cuticle oil recipe. Therefore, you can prepare it in 10 minutes to be exact.
How often to apply?
You can apply this daily
Alternative Essential Oils for Cracked Cuticles
If you are unable to find any of the essential oil highlighted in the recipe above, you can go for a substitute as well.
Some of the other alternative essential oils that can benefit you are;
- Tea tree essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
- German chamomile essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Wintergreen essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
Check out this amazing essential oils pack. You can get all these essential oils in one pack. And, it’s the best selling product and comes with the best price.
How to use Homemade Cuticle Oil
The universal way of using homemade cuticle oil initiates with first cleansing your hands with warm water appropriately. Then apply the small amount of homemade cuticle oil on each of your cuticle and nails via a dropper.
Place the dropper aside and massage the oil gently on the cuticle area and rub over the entire nail to spread the oil.
Make Cuticle Oil at Home
Using a DIY cuticle oil recipe would not only make your life simple and easy but also would make you form a skincare routine that you might be lacking due to your busy schedules.
Starting off from something so easy, you would definitely generate some insights about other skincare routines and how terribly you need to invest some quality time to pamper yourself with love.
Coupled with this, you also get to learn how to make cuticle oil at home and get healthier, smooth and fresh nails and cuticle.
Imagine getting to know so much about the skincare routine right at the premises of your own home, isn’t that great? So start off with preparing your own homemade cuticle oil and give yourself the care that you deserve.