Wanted a solution for all hair problems? This post is all about DIY hair masks for damaged hairs. We all have hair problems, whether it’s damage, fizziness, dryness, flakes, or fading. Considering how sensitive one is towards their hair, this might scare you.
But worry not, we got your back. You don’t have to spend huge bucks of money to treat them because we got better treatment for you. You can repair your hair by making your own DIY hair masks for damaged hairs with ingredients you actually already have in your pantry.
Yes, for real, you don’t have to go to the supermarket or add another beauty item to your purchase list. You can simply prepare the best at-home hair masks for dry damaged hairs.
You don’t even have to freak out about preparing hair masks at home. Simple hair masks at home will do the job for you.
Therefore, to know the bits and pieces about how to treat your hair with natural, organic ingredients, scroll down. I am sure you would have the best time reading these simple and quickest recipes.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using any affiliate links, I will earn a commission based on that purchase. For more, you can read out the complete disclosure here.
My Experience with Dry Damaged Hairs
Having a worse experience with handling extremely dry hair, I sit here to write the actual causes as to what makes your hair dry and damaging.
Our hair dehydrates instantly by nature. We can’t help it because it has been built that way. This is why the damage emerges due to several reasons. The significant reasons are color treatment and over-processing which not only loses the moisture of your hair but will also make the growth slow and brittle.
Coupled with this, dying and coloring require constant conditioning which makes the hair condition frizzy. Some of us have hair types with a cuticle that naturally lifts easier and therefore are more at risk of damage. Even brushing, styling, or washing them would cause them physical damage. This damage is irreversible most of the time.
Talking from the perspective of someone who has damaged hairs, I want to highlight how they are one of the crucial reasons for your split ends as well. They have less elasticity and therefore, is prone to splitting and breakage.
This makes it very challenging to repair and especially when there is an immense of it. Yet another drawback that many are not aware of is that the strand will split even further, faster. Hence, disturbing the entire volume of the hair.
Lastly, lack of nutrients can also cause damaging effects on the hair. Even if you have perfect hair right now, be cautious that you eat properly because it may make you more susceptible and vulnerable to damage and dryness.
Cause of Damaged Hairs at an Early Age
There are a lot of causes that may lead to damaged hairs at an early age.
These may include;
- Diet: Many of us are hearing grandma’s statement of ‘you are what you eat. And we didn’t get what that meant, but as we grow up, we do realize that all these things actually hold a valuable meaning. Yes, I firmly believe now that you are what you eat because your diet plays a huge role in your growth. Especially when it comes to hair and skin health, there are specific health nutrients that are essential. Insufficient intake of iron, vitamin, zinc, protein, and folic acid can cause hair damages.
- Stress: Our youth carry an immense amount of stress on their shoulders. They deal with a lot of anxiety regarding academics, family issues, employment issues, financial constraints, and what not!
All this burden brings them stress, ultimately affecting their hair growth. Moreover, Telogen effluvium is the stress that is associated with hair damage.
- Dryness: Considering the changing climatic changes such as low humidity and excessive heat cause the hair to lose its moisture. Thus, suffering from dryness.
- Over-processing: relaxers, professional straightening, coloring, and perms can cause damaged hair at an early age.
- Over-washing: Excessive exposure of hair with water can lose its spark and damage it.
- Incorrect brushing and combing: Sometimes when we are in a hurry, we do comb our hair quickly without realizing that most of the hair breakage takes place due to that.
- Hypothyroidism: When your thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones, hypothyroidism (low thyroid disorder) develops. The thyroid gland, despite its small size, plays a critical role in the proper functioning of your body. This includes your metabolism, heart rate, and hair development, among other things.
Tips for DIY Hair Masks at Home
There are few tips that would ease your process of making DIY hair masks for damaged hairs. Read on to know and make your life simpler.
- For a better effect, use pure honey and extra virgin coconut oil when creating a hair mask. Pure coconut oil is easier to absorb through your hair and generates lasting impacts.
- Don’t over proportionate the quantity of ingredients you add to your hair mask by more than a few teaspoons or tablespoons. For example, using too much honey may result in a sticky hair mask that takes a long time to remove. Using a lot of coconut/olive oil may also result in greasy hair that is difficult to remove.
- If you have longer or shorter hair, you can always add more or fewer teaspoons of any ingredients.
- When using hair masks containing egg and olive oil as an ingredient, make sure to use cold water to rinse off the mask. This is because if you wash them with hot water, you will end up with cooked egg bits in your hair which I guess none of really wants!
- Rinse your hair deeply as many times as necessary to fully remove the hair mask. Clean it off with organic shampoo and give it a final wash.
- When applying the hair mask, give your scalp a relaxing massage. This will increase blood flow to your scalp, resulting in a healthy scalp and long, luscious locks of hair.
Note: Pin this image to Pinterest to come back later.
Ingredients to Make Hair Masks
There are some items that you should have with you when planning to make the best DIY hair mask for damaged hairs.
- Shower cap to protect hair from getting all dried up and sticky after applying the hair mask.
- Towel to prevent the mess from spreading to the entire body through the neck region.
- Mixing bowl to combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Blender to blend the ingredients evenly so that a thick paste is formed.
- Brush to make sure that the mask is put everywhere on the hair and no part of the hair is left.
Click below to check out necessary items you need for making hair masks;
Most of these products are available on Amazon Prime with 2-day shipping. If you don’t already have Amazon Prime, you can always get a free 30-day trial.
10 Best DIY Hair Masks for Damaged Hairs
Every hair mask is different and therefore offers a variety of benefits to the damaged hair. To know more on how to get over the damaged hairs with DIY hair mask recipes, scroll down and pin the recipe that you like the most!
#1. Egg, Honey and Apple cider vinegar mask for dry hairs
- I teaspoon of honey
- I tablespoon of ACV
- 1 egg
- Take a small bowl.
- Add in all the ingredients and blend them.
- Apply it on hair.
- Leave it on the hair for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
#.2 Essential and coconut oil hair mask for frizzy hair
- 4 teaspoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw unrefined coconut oil
- 2 drops tea oil
- 5 drops peppermint oil
- Grab a small bowl
- Put in all the ingredients and mix them
- Apply the mixture on your clean, damp hair
- Gently massage for 1-3 minutes
- Clip up your hair and let it stay like that for the duration of your shower
#3. Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil mask for dull hair
- 1/3 tablespoon of raw organic honey
- 1/3 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/3 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Take a bowl
- Mix all the ingredients to form a mixture
- Apply the mixture to your hair
- Let sit for 20 minutes
- Wash hair with shampoo
#4. Cinnamon and coconut oil mask for longer hair
- 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Take a bowl.
- Blend the ingredients well in the bowl.
- Apply the mask onto your roots and massage it into your scalp.
- Let it sit for 30-45 minutes.
- Rinse your hair.
#5. Green tea and apple cider vinegar hair mask
- 1 cup of green tea
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- Grab a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients in the bowl to form a mixture.
- Apply the mixture and massage it into the scalp.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Wash your hair.
#6. Lemon and egg white mask for smooth hair
- 1 egg white
- Juice from half a lemon
- Mix the ingredients.
- Smooth over hair from roots to ends.
- Leave for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
#7. Avocado and olive oil hair mask for damaged hair
- Half an avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Prepare a mixture of ingredients.
- Apply the mixture to wet hair with fingertips (starting at the bottom and working your way up to your hair).
- Wrap your hair into a bun and cover it with a shower cap.
- Blow-dry your shower cap covered hair for 10 minutes.
- Let it sit for another 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair with water.
#8. Hair Mask for frizzy and damaged hair
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of plain yoghurt
- 1 sliced of banana
- Take a blender and add all the ingredients together.
- Make a thick paste.
- Apply to the damp hair from top to bottom.
- Tie your hair.
- Cover hairs with a towel or shower gel.
- Leave your hair like that for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
#9. Mayonnaise Egg Honey Hair Mask
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- Take a small mixing bowl, add in the egg until it becomes frothy. Combine all the other ingredients thoroughly.
- With clean fingertips, massage the paste onto the wet hair.
- Tie your hair in a high bun and cover it with a disposable shower cap.
- Allow it to settle for 15 minutes until the goodness of the mask seeps into the hair follicles.
- After 15 minutes, wash off the mask from the hair roots to the ends. Rinse off as many times as possible until the mask is off completely.
- Rinse off the hair finally with shampoo to remove the oily mask and it smells and uses the conditioner.
- Give a final rinse with cold water and wrap the hair in a fluffy towel.
#10. Banana Almond oil hair mask for bleached hair
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1-2 teaspoons of almond oil
- Make a banana puree from the ripe bananas in a blender until lump-free.
- Take a small mixing bowl, pour in almond oil with banana puree.
- Apply the hair mask onto the hair strands, beginning from the roots taking it downwards.
- Tie the hair into a loose bun and cover it with a shower cap.
- Wait for 15 minutes. You can use this time to relax, read a good book and pamper yourself with a pedicure or manicure.
- Wash off the mask thoroughly using shampoo with cold water.
Here are some other amazing DIY masks;
Can these homemade hair masks for damaged hairs can be kept overnight?
It is advisable not to leave hair products overnight unless it’s specified in the recipe. Considering that the natural products have the potential to clog hair follicles or irritate the scalp, exacerbating hair problems.
Most treatments should be left on for no more than an hour, after which you should wash your hair thoroughly.
Wrap up: Hair Masks at Home
We all know that when it comes to handling damaged, dry, enhancing shine, or simply applying a bit of moisture everyone has their own hair mask preference.
Often times, selecting a hair mask from the market would cost you high bucks which don’t even work effectively. This is because those hair masks contain an ample amount of chemicals which does equal damage as good.
So why not go for a mask which doesn’t cost you a month’s pocket money? Those masks definitely do exists at very cheaper prices. Therefore, give these above homemade hair masks recipes a try. I am sure you won’t regret it.
Also, creating DIY hair masks for damaged hair at home is simple, quickest and the most therapeutic experience you would have.
An experience that will make you get out of that boring routine of staying longer at bed on weekends and pampering your hair with the care they surely deserve!